Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dear Sleep,

Dear Sleep,

        I miss you.  Like, really, really miss you.  I don't know where we went wrong.  We used to be such good friends.  I am not one to get involved in other people's business, but when it involves me, I see the need to step in.  I don't know why you and Evie just don't get along.  She just doesn't seem to want to be your friend no matter how hard I try to tell her how great you are.  I know yall have had your moments, especially when I am involved in showing her (aka...I am holding her in the wrap or she is snuggled up on my chest....).  I would really like for yall to have some one on one time though too, so that you and I can get back to our one on one time as well.

Yours truly,

One Tired Mama


Yeah, Evie is not a fan of sleep.  At least the kind of sleep that doesn't require momma to be holding her.  I know this won't last forever, but man....I guess I was spoiled by her big sister being such a good sleeper.  So how rough is it?  Well....let's see.  Two times this last week, she has not given up and let me put her down till 11:00 or a little after.  That is after showing signs of being tired starting at 7:00 or 7:30.  This is how it goes:  Get baby to sleep either nursing, bouncing, or rocking, lay baby down, baby sleeps for max of 10-15 min., baby wakes.  We have tried so many ways to get her to stay asleep with none working thus far.  She will literally fight for hours till finally giving up (and no, that doesn't mean we let her cry in her bassinet for hours, just to clarify...).  I am not one for cry it out, esp. this early, but I am really at a loss for what to do.
We just never had to face this issue with SK.  She was sleeping through the night so early and never had a problem at night.  Yeah, she had her occasionally times where she took a little longer to get asleep or wanted to be held, but not to this extent.  This is a whole new ballgame for us.
oh, back to how the night goes.  So, we get her down finally last night at 11:00 and she wakes at 2:00.  That was ok.  Really, I don't mind if I can just feed her and put her back down.  But no.  She feeds then doesn't want to be put down.  In fact, she is bright eyed when I put her back down.  I try paci...and that almost wakes her more than no paci.  It def. doesn't help soothe her back to sleep.  So she squirms in her bed for a bit, then starts to cry, I get her and try to calm her back to sleep.  I finally nurse her again trying to get her back to sleep and so it continues till now.  She is back asleep almost nursing and I will once again try to lay her down.  And of course, this will probably be her longest stretch of sleep, but it won't be for mommy.   SK will more than likely wake within 2 hours and I will have to get up with her.

Blah. I know I will look back on this one day and say..."Remember those days?"  I do love her sweet cuddles and am so incredibly thankful for this precious child and that she and I were able to figure out this whole nursing thing.  I praise God for this precious little one.  I do pray though that sleep is somewhere in the future though...

And in the meantime, the Lord gives me strength to make it on less sleep for the time being.  He has thus far :)

p.s.  Any advice is welcome at this point regarding getting little ones to sleep :)

No comments:

Post a Comment