Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Laundry Soap

I know I have shared on here how we have made our dishwasher soap, but I haven't shared about our laundry soap. I found this blog about how to make it, which is just about the same as how I do it, so check it out. I use the same ingredients and spent about $10-$12 dollars to begin (but these boxes of washing soda and borax are going to last me a while). The second batch I made didn't cost me a thing since I already had the ingredients. If you made the dishwasher detergent, then you will have the ingredients already on hand!

Things I did different than the Tip Junkies post---
*I use only about 2/3 of the bar of soap, just got out a medium size pot and dissolved it (after grating it) in some water, then added 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of washing soda in the pot to dissolve. When everything seems pretty well dissolved, pour it into the 5 gallon bucket and fill your bucket up about to the 4 gallon mark.
I have saved so much money doing this! I have found it easier for me to use an old detergent bottle to fill with my detergent to be able to give it a good shake before each use. And, I use about 1/2 a cup each time.

Another thrifty thing that someone recently taught me was to quit using fabric softener. Instead, use a cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle--works like a charm and nope, my clothes don't have a vinegar scent on them at all :)

We are already halfway through our week, but just in case you are interested, here is what's cooking at our house this week:
--Monday--we had a throw together, Stouffer's french bread pizza night.
--Tuesday--Aunt Lala and Jeremiah came over and we had Cheesy Chicken and Rice casserole and homemade bread with blackeyed peas.
--Wednesday--We are having Fish (baked with breadcrumbs coating), alfredo pasta and some more blackeyed peas (and we have leftover bread)
--Thursday--Rice bowls with black beans, chicken, salsa, and cilantro
--Friday--Taco Salad night

Finally, just thought I would share a couple pictures of Sarah Kate. I have been a poor picture taker lately, but Sarah Kate has been enjoying her football season so far. She took a trip to Tuscaloosa few weeks ago with Mommy and Daddy and ended the day at Nana and Pop's to watch the game:

Sarah Kate had a blast last weekend with her cousin Haven and uncle Michael at Homestead Hollow, but of course, I forgot the camera. Monday, Sarah Kate played with Mamie while Mommy, Mimi, Jamie, and Mackenzie shopped at Kid's Market. After finding some cute stuff for all the girls, we all had lunch at O'Charlies! Sarah Kate is having a great fall so far! Hope yall are too!


1 comment:

  1. Love it!!! My heart has been blessed!
    Hugs and Kisses to my sweet family!!!
    Nana

    ReplyDelete