Monday, August 30, 2010

Random

There are so many things I want to blog about, but am too scatter brained this morning to focus on any of them, so instead I give you some randomness:

1. Why must Sarah Kate whine through the smallest of meals and make them last 2 hours, when we could be done in 15 and then move on to something a little more fun.

2. I recently painted our kitchen chairs and I must say I love them (well, I take that back, I still haven't completely finished, but plan to do that tomorrow!)--of course, I have not taken any pics of them yet, but maybe I will get to that to show you how they turned out!

3. Fall is in the air, I am ready.

4. I have been really wanting to get into some more cooking lately---recipes I want to do really soon would include: fruit leathers for Sarah Kate!, breads, and the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls (wow, those look delicious).

5. I have been sewing up a storm lately! Projects currently going on: baby gifts, items for the upcoming "Made by You" sale (That might not be the right name, I can't remember right now) happening at our church in November, Sarah kate a cute fall outfit (The sophie pattern from the great "Maja's Heirlooms" patterns, and getting a jump start on Christmas gifts!

6. Speaking of Christmas, We are trying more and more to simplify our Christmas and focus it on what it should be not on what America tells us Christmas is about. As a family, Michael and I are not trying to reach the "American Dream", we want to do things differently. Call us crazy and no fun if you want. Crazy ideas we have decided on thus far: We are not doing Santa Claus with Sarah Kate (maybe I will expound on that one in a later post), We do not "buy" any Christmas presents==we do homemade presents for family and keep that simple and small too. We want Sarah Kate to learn that Christmas is not about what we get or even about what we give, but it is about Christ and what He gave us! That should be a whole other post on its own, maybe I will get around to that :)

7. Sarah Kate is loving Mother's Day out! She hops in the car ever Tues and tells me "Fun Day, Mama!" and this last week, she hopped in and started telling me all about her teachers and what she did that day. This age can be hard with the whining and learning who is in control, but it is also very fun! She can actually hold more "conversations" now and tell me stories. I love that!

(why are we still sitting in our chair, whining about having to eat a mere banana)

8. So I ran out of rice last week and finally broke down on Sat. and made a quick run to Walmart (I was out of ink and couldn't print coupons for a Publix Trip)---go figure I return from Walmart and see online that there are new links on redplum.com for .50 cents off mahatma rice--which makes them free at Publix! Stock up time for rice! *Plus there was another of the same coupons in newspaper this week! Man, I love couponing :)

9. Quick weekend recap: Friday night I got to teach a class at a friends house with a bunch of cool sweet ladies!, Sat. morning we got up and headed to the farmer's market (LOVE IT!) and got some yummy veggies and some honey then headed home to work on stuff around the house, including Sarah Kate helped daddy cut the grass (to clarify, Sarah Kate got to ride with daddy for one lap on the riding lawn mower and loved every minute of it!), then Nana and Pop headed over to our house to eat dinner (Cilantro Lime rice bowls with black beans, salsa, Mexican Salad, and Chicken) and play for a bit! Sunday was church then we all crashed for naps for a couple of hours, then headed to community group next door at the Bartz's house--dessert night, yumm!

10. After getting Michael off to work this morning, I got to menu planning for the week. I must admit, I have been horrible this last month with menu planning and therefore had some extra trips to the store! Horrible I know. We haven't necessarily gone over budget, but I want to get back to planning and keeping from going to the store for any last minute things. With that said, here is our menu for this week:
Monday: Sausage and Red Potatoes in Iron Skillet, Black eyed peas on the side
Tuesday: Chicken tenders, Pink Eyed pes (From the farmer's market!), homemade mashed potatoes, and bread (maybe I will find time to make some homemade this time!)
Wednesday: Potato Soup--Frozen already made
Thursday: White Chicken Chili
Friday: Homemade Pizzas
Saturday: Grilling out at Aunt Lala and Jeremiah's!

So that is about it for now! I have many posts to hopefully get to soon including:
*I never posted pics from Lala and Jeremiah's wedding--Esp. pics of SK's flowergirl dress (I along with Maja made from Nana's wedding dress)
*Projects I am working on--but Can't show too much since some are upcoming baby gifts and Christmas gifts
*I wanted to share the recipe I was taught for making homemade laundry detergent--I know I have already shared my dishwasher detergent, but I haven't done the laundry one yet!

I am sure there are more, but that is all my brain is telling me for now. Hope to share more soon! I know today is random, but maybe someone will make it to the end of this long and very not connected post!

2 comments:

  1. You know, my parents were really great about making Christmas more than just about presents. One year, we even "sponsored" a family and bought them things they needed and took it to them christmas eve(blankets, food,clothes, etc). That kind of stuff stuck with me throughout the years, and now I always take toys to toys for tots, and usually help with another charity. In Birmingham, 103.7 the Q does a great one with their morning show that I always helped with. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is, it seems like you guys are doing great on putting SK on a giving path instead of receiving, and that is so very rare these days. Good for ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, my parents were really great about making Christmas more than just about presents. One year, we even "sponsored" a family and bought them things they needed and took it to them christmas eve(blankets, food,clothes, etc). That kind of stuff stuck with me throughout the years, and now I always take toys to toys for tots, and usually help with another charity. In Birmingham, 103.7 the Q does a great one with their morning show that I always helped with. Anyway, all I'm trying to say is, it seems like you guys are doing great on putting SK on a giving path instead of receiving, and that is so very rare these days. Good for ya'll!

    ReplyDelete